With the Crofters to Canada

Archaeologist Keith Branigan uncovers clues revealing the patterns of emigration from the Isle of Barra to British North America, from 1770 to 1850.

The Highland Clearances of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries are one of the most notorious and well-documented episodes in Scottish history. Thousands of crofters and their families in the Highlands and Islands were forcibly removed from their tiny tenancies. Some were sent off to the burgeoning industrial towns of the Scottish lowlands, others were shipped to Canada or even to Australia and New Zealand.

Want the full article and website archive access?


Subscribe now    Already a member?   Log in now


With the Crofters to Canada

Sign up for Miscellanies, our free weekly email