Hull's Citadel Uncovered
Simon Barclay on the archaeological discovery of a Charles II artillery fort
The continuing archaeological activity in Hull has unearthed parts of the huge Citadel, the artillery fort, constructed during the reign of Charles II as part of his efforts to strengthen the country's coastal defences. Plans have been announced by the City Council to incorporate the original entrance and sections of the ramparts in a housing development on the site of the town's former Victoria Dock. The area which includes the Citadel will be completed b y the summer of 1989.
The Citadel, at the mouth of the River Hull on the east bank, incorporated existing buildings in its construction. An earlier set of fortifications had existed on the site since Henry VIII's time. Henry visited the city in the autumn of 1541 and decided that the port's defences should be improved.