Who's Who

Archaeology in Albania after Kosovo

In the 50 years after its opening in 1948 by dictator Enver Hoxhe, Albania's Institute of Archaology is now suffering from a funding shortage, but is still maintinaing its work and museum.

In these years there was a sense of romantic purpose to the activities of the Institute. As many as fifty excavation campaigns were mounted in any one year, and Hoxhe himself took a personal interest in the archaeological discoveries. When Nikita Khruschev pressed Hoxhe to create a submarine base in Lake Butrint involving the destruction of the fine Greek, Roman and Byzantine ruins there, he haughtily refused, condemning the Soviet leader’s ignorance of history.

These active years came to an abrupt halt with the overthrow of the Communist government in 1990 and the adoption of democracy in 1991. Since then the Institute of Archaeology has suffered from a lack of funds and government support. Many of its most promising pupils have emigrated, leaving less than a third of the staff in place. Its museum is in need of refurbishment; its journal, Illiria, has been issued only intermittently; and the only funds for excavations are those provided by the small number of foreign missions now working in Albania. At the same time, the post-Communist decade has given rise to development, both unplanned and planned, on a hitherto unimaginable scale, often causing the transparent destruction of Albania’s remarkable archaeological record from Palaeolithic to Byzantine times.

Want the full article and website archive access?

Subscribe now

Already a member? Log in now

 

Recent stories